Thursday, February 23, 2012

Chocolate Sun Cookies

Got an fairy good opportunity to try out my new oven. Although the sky was clear when I boiled the sudsy water to clean the interior before using (recommended), The sky became a bit hazy during the cookie baking, so this batch took a few hours to bake, with temps moving anywhere between 350-200 degrees.

Sun Oven loaded with cookies 
33 cookies in one batch- I was impressed how well this worked on parchment paper instead and on three stacked racks
mmmmmm baked to chewy crunch~   Definately worth the several hour wait!!

My recipe for Vegan Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from choc chop recipe in The Joy of Vegan Baking
4 1/2 tsp. Ener G frothed with 6 TBS water
1 c. Earth Balance
1 1/2 cup  Florida Chrystals
2 TBS Vanilla paste
2 1/4 c. flour
1 TBS
1 tsp salt

I will be purging gluten from our diet, so things are going to become a bit more challenging very soon...thanks (or no thanks, maybe;) to an in depth article on wheat and gluten in The Huffington Post rececently. We've known about these problems, but after reading the article that John so carefully printed off, stapled and put on my laptop for me to read, I am also convinced it's the right thing for us to discontinue.
 ARGH!! just after I found the secret to making my Seitan such a perfect texture!!



Today if the sky is clear, I will make some cornbread. Another thing I do not make often as we stay fairly clear of corn due to it's gmo issues, but hey, we're celebrating here for awhile, now that I have the ability to bake. I've been without an oven for the past 6 months, except of course for the cob, so I've loving this solar oven just fine right now.....





2 comments:

  1. Very cool - well done!. Now, cup of coffee with your 1st batch of solar baked cookies? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff is gluten intolerant so I know what a challenge that is. The cookies look great though. Must have smelled great baking.

    ReplyDelete